Falls of Bruar

Falls of Bruar

One of Highland Perthshire’s prime beauty spots for over 200 years.

Start from House of Bruar car park, walk around the building and follow the signs for ‘Falls of Bruar’.  There is a choice of two way marked paths. The shorter route is on clear paths for those short on time or energy while the longer route continues past the first bridge and climbs to the top of the falls, forming a circular path back to the car park. Note that paths can be slippy and children should be closely supervised at all times as there are sheer drops at the gorge edge.

Robert Burns visited the Falls of Bruar in 1787 and wrote ‘The Humble Petition of Bruar Water’ as a request to the 4th Duke of Atholl to surround the falls with trees. While the first pine plantations laid out in 1796 no longer survive, today a natural canopy is provided by a mixture of mixed larch and Scots pine trees on this wonderful woodland walk.

Online Information

PDF Download

Printed Information:
A full-colour booklet, featuring maps and photographs, is available printed for £1.20 from Atholl Estates Information Centre (seasonal), Blair Castle Gift Shop, Blair Castle Caravan Park reception or Pitlochry Tourist Information Centre. The booklet can also be downloaded as a pdf (see above). Information can also be found in the Hallewell Pocket Walking Guide 'Walks North Perthshire', available to purchase from local Visitor Information Centres and other outlets.

Back to listings